golf course effects on environment



There are many things that have an affect on the environment such as erosion, gases in the air, the population growing so rapidly that the environment cannot sustain what we have, and many others. But how many people look at golf courses and think of the effect that the courses being built and sustained has on the environment. Most people would say that golf courses are good for the environment because there are trees and grass and things that seems undisturbed. Many people would also say that golf courses use too many chemicals, are occupying land that could be used for other things, and that golf courses use enormous amounts of water to keep the grass remaining healthy. Many of these accusations and queries will be dealt with in this paper and hopefully individuals will better understand the purpose and role of golf courses with the environment.
One of the major issues is that chemicals are used to fertilize all the grass and keep it healthy. One issue brought to the forefront is that the fertilizer used to keep the greens green and healthy is running off and hurting the water and many organisms with its path. The main fertilizer for greens is a fungicide that is basically only used on golf courses for greens. The fungicides are very expensive and are used to keep the greens and eighth of an inch tall or shorter in some cases. People believed that this ran off into the surface water and then leached with the ground water, but the accusation was proven wrong.
Ronald Turco, a professor at Purdue University cited that in numerous experiments, the grass leaf blade, which is in turn absorbed by the grass plant within forty-eight hours, absorbed 90% of the fungicides. The other 10% is caught in the thatch layer, which is a thick layer that is narrow and has an organic band of material on top of the soil. (Putting, pg. 2) Mr. Turco also stated that the reason the fungicide does not reach the ground water is that the fungicide itself is a large and sticky molecule that does not allow it to flow into the water source. This is exceptionally important because the molecules are trapped and have no place to go. (Putting, pg. 2-3) I found this very important because it describes how runoff does not occur because the fungicide has no place to go. This reminds me more of a repellent like oil and water. Because the molecules are large that makes it important.
Wetlands, vegetation that is harmed or fragile, and protected wildlife are also very important environmental issues that are believed to be harmed by building and maintaining golf courses. Previous decades have shown that no regulations were set to keep individuals from building golf courses in certain areas that deserve to be protected from anything and any circumstance. Because of the lack of restrictions many golf course destroyed areas that would now be protected ruining fertile land and disrupting wildlife that is supported by the environment or habitat. (environ. pg. 2) When I imagine these things I realize how important the new restrictions are because many species could have been lost with the building of some of the golf courses. This disturbs me, but a shopping mall or grocery store going up in the golf courses place makes a person think that the golf course is better suited to help the environment than the mall or grocery store would.
The new rules that have been established are concise and correct for the situation. The new restrictions make golf course architecture still abundant but have also cited certain locations deemed “priceless” and that no golf course can disturb the area. The new rules consist of planning and siting, design, construction, management, facility operations, and what golfers can do to help the environment succeed. With the planning and siting, local and national environmental issues are addressed and planned around. By making a thorough analysis of the land picked an individual or group can pick a suitable spot, hopefully an area that they can reclaim land ravaged by man previously. Some of these sites might include landfills, quarries, and or mines. Some areas of particular concern are wetlands, areas that have