This essay Support has a total of 544 words and 4 pages.
Statement Of Purpose
The purpose of this speech is to inform my audience of three kinds of “Support” and how “Support” can lead to success.
I. There is three kinds of “support”.
A. Emotional (Mental) support
1. To emotionally support someone you would have to be supportive for that someone at all times, and let that person know that you support him or her.
B. Physical support
1. Physical support can be a leg on a table or a mother’s hand on the back of an infant’s neck.
2. Anything that holds or sustains weight.
C. Financial support
1. You can financially support a person or an organization by providing money, food, clothes or services.
II. How support can lead to success.
A. Parents supporting their children.
1. Children can become successful when they have parents
that has supported them emotionally, physically, and financially.
B. Citizens supporting their community.
a. Students support their schools by attending classes and
becoming involved in the activities held by the schools.
b. Parents and citizens support schools by paying taxes,
voting for school bonds and becoming involved with the schools.
a. People support a business or a store by spending money in which gives the business or store profit for
3. Community government
a. Citizens support their community government by voting for community issues, and being a “good” citizen.
1. A good citizen does not vandalize or act disruptive.
III. Definitions and quotations of the word “support”.
A. The Oxford English Dictionary
1. The action of keeping from falling, exhaustion, or
perishing; esp. The supplying of a living thing with what is necessary for subsistence; the maintenance of life.
2. To endure without opposition or resistance; to bear
with, put up with, tolerate.
3. To assert, maintain. To back up in a statement or
4. To furnish food or sustenance for; to supply with the
necessaries of life.
5. To occupy a position by the side of, with the subject
of giving assistance or encouragement; to assist by
one’s presence or attendance.
6. “She had a large family, that depended upon her
labour, and her character, for support”. (Maria
B. Webster’s New World College Dictionary
1. To carry or bear the weight of; keep from falling,
slipping or sinking; hold up.
2. To give courage, faith or confidence to help or
3. To give approval to or be a favor of; subscribe to;
4. To maintain or provide for (a person, institution, etc.)
with money, or subsistence.
5. To show to be true; help prove, vindicate, or
C. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary
1. To uphold or defend as valid.
2. To argue in favor of: vote for.
3. To provide means, force or strength that is secondary to: back up.
4. To give assistance to by providing supplies, serving as a reserve, or furnishing additional or covering combat strength. To act with.
5. To pay the cost of: maintain.
6. “Scattered eight hits, walked three and fanned two as his mates supported him brilliantly in the field”. (Deane McGowen)
D. Synonyms for the word “Support”
1. Sustain, prop, bolster, buttress, and brace.